<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The Relativity of Fundamentalism 

Bob Murphy writes on fundamentalism and the Snopes trial. I'm not quite sure of the thrust of his piece, but I appreciate seeing the shadows of one point in particular: When discussing matters about which fundamentalist religion is considered to be hopelessly backwards, in particular questions of the literal interpretation of the bible, why need it be considered absurd to leave the answer to a more advanced science than that which is presently known? About the story of Joshua and the allegation that the sun stood still, doesn't William Jennings Bryan (see the article) make a valid point that we might well interpret that as relative to the Earth, and furthermore, make some point (I can't make it here) about relativity of space and time, and so on?

Just a thought.




Link
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?