Wednesday, December 29, 2004
Vertigo (1958)
Vertigo (1958)
Somehow I manage to forget the ending, each time I watch this, or anyway, before I watched it this time. I'm sure it will repay any future viewings with its psychological complexity, even should that tendency change, though.
"You were a very apt pupil, Madeline! You were a very apt pupil!"
So says Scottie. And: "I need you to be Madeline for a while, then we'll both be free."
How does one escape the past? Humans might not reincarnate in the fashion of the concocted story about Carlotta Valdez. But what can be said about the reincarnation of love across the persons of Madeleine Elster and Judy Barton? At what point does the love cross into an obsession with one's past, instead?
Good movie, anyway.
So is Rear Window. What a thriller.
"Are you interested in solving this case, or in making me look foolish?" So says Tom Doyle, some time before events command that he must solve case without the help of an experienced detective at hand, but rather from his wheelchair and with the feminine intuition of girlfriend Leeza and the other lady (the landlady?), named Betsy.
I shall forever know what to do with a flashbulb in time of lifethreatening danger.
Link
Somehow I manage to forget the ending, each time I watch this, or anyway, before I watched it this time. I'm sure it will repay any future viewings with its psychological complexity, even should that tendency change, though.
"You were a very apt pupil, Madeline! You were a very apt pupil!"
So says Scottie. And: "I need you to be Madeline for a while, then we'll both be free."
How does one escape the past? Humans might not reincarnate in the fashion of the concocted story about Carlotta Valdez. But what can be said about the reincarnation of love across the persons of Madeleine Elster and Judy Barton? At what point does the love cross into an obsession with one's past, instead?
Good movie, anyway.
So is Rear Window. What a thriller.
"Are you interested in solving this case, or in making me look foolish?" So says Tom Doyle, some time before events command that he must solve case without the help of an experienced detective at hand, but rather from his wheelchair and with the feminine intuition of girlfriend Leeza and the other lady (the landlady?), named Betsy.
I shall forever know what to do with a flashbulb in time of lifethreatening danger.
Comments:
Post a Comment